Monday, July 20, 2009

Distractions

Lately I haven't been making any effort as far as dating is concerned. I feel like there are other, much more important things to focus on - like employment! The economic situation is really stressful, and it's compounded by working where I work, because the reality of the state's horrible budget deficit is in my face all the time. I am often reminded to be grateful, however, that I still have my job and I'm not subject to the furlough order. Most state employees are furloughed for three Fridays every month now. When I'm biking to work on those days, I feel really sad for my fellow government employees who have to deal with a 14% salary reduction. If I had to do that, it would be very difficult.

Given the dour economic outlook, coupled with the political realities in my office, it is definitely time to move on and find a new job. It's disappointing, because I thought I would be in this job for a while longer, but honestly it's not what I thought it was, and I'll probably be happier doing something else. However, quitting is not an option! Not when I have major financial responsibilities. I completely adore my house, but lately I've been wondering what I was thinking buying a house!! It's such a huge financial commitment. At least the value has held, so if I did have to sell, it would be an option. I'd like to keep it. Realistically, if I want to continue my career in international affairs, I'm going to have to move away, either overseas or to Washington, DC. I don't want to move away from my friends and family and this cute house, but if I want to pursue what I'm passionate about, I can't stay in Sacramento. I'd also like to live in a larger, more vibrant city. I can always come home and visit.

I also feel as though since I'm not in a relationship, I can move away, I can pursue an international career. It's all about me - that's a good thing for me right now. I would be open to meeting someone in the future, preferably someone who understands and shares my interest in travel, living abroad, and having adventures.

While I'm pursuing career opportunities elsewhere, I would really prefer not to meet anyone because that would just be a distraction and make things more difficult! Given my track record, however, it's probably not something I'll have to worry about.

No comments: