Friday, March 9, 2007

Blind Date Hell

I had a blind date last night and arrived with zero expectations. I quickly realized I should have set the bar to a negative scale! Was he really that bad? You may ask. To answer, I have two words: Facial Tic. To make matters even worse for him (and me), he is unemployed and lives with his parents - "temporarily" he says, but later he said he's been back in the area for 2 years. He is 30 years old. He also has a large gap between his front two teeth. Despite all of this, he made it clear to me that he "dates a lot" and talked about different nice restaurants where he's been on dates. Uh huh. Probably one-offs with poor unsuspecting girls like me! I made conversation with him just to be polite, but felt that every moment was torture. After I finished my meal I excused myself and went to the ladies' room, where I called my friend Carolyn to report that things were not going well. I went back to the table and he said, "Did you have fun?" I was perplexed, and said,"In the restroom??" He said, "no, I meant tonight." I didn't know how what the appropriate answer was, and don't appreciate being put on the spot. Honesty seemed out of the question. I said "uh, yeah!" And he asked if I wanted to go out again. I just said I didn't know. He asked again a couple minutes later (it took forever for the server to bring back our change!) and I said I still wasn't sure. But I wished him the best of luck for his job search, so hopefully he got the hint that I don't plan on ever seeing him again. He seemed like a nice guy, and I hope he gets everything together in his life, but he was described to me as someone with whom I would have a lot in common and I am pretty disappointed that I was misled like that. That's an hour and 15 minutes of my life that I'll never get back. At least I can see the humor it the situation, I was laughing hysterically to myself in the car as I pulled away - the best laugh I've had in weeks!

1 comment:

Cherann said...

If I were you-- I'd be MORE upset that the person that set you up--thought you had a lot in common with him (rather than that you wasted an hour and a half of your time).
Isn't that a little more insulting?

Happy Early Birthday!!