Wednesday, March 14, 2007

International Affairs

I just returned from a short trip to SF for the purpose of attending a Germany California Solar Day Conference that took place at PG&E headquarters. Much to my surprise, the event was attended by a number of very attractive men and very few women. Demographics were definitely on my side. Sitting in my row was one of the above-mentioned attractive men, a German guy who works in SF for a German firm with U.S. headquarters in Sacramento. I had a chance to talk (read: flirt) with him at the post-conference reception, over a couple of cold Beck's beers (well, he was drinking Dr. Pepper, I had the beer). We were arguing over the benefits of living in Sacramento because he sees none, having lived here for 8 months before getting transferred to SF. Despite the fact that he seems to hate my city, I think I'm in love. He said he visits Sac once a week or so for work, so I told him we'll have to get together when he's in town, so I can show him some good places. He turned it around and told me to contact him next time I'm in SF, so he can show me HIS city. Fair enough. Later on that evening, I had dinner with my cousin and her roommate and then we prepared for my date with a guy who I met at a Christmas party in December and haven't seen since. I convinced my cousin to be my wingman, or wingwoman, as it were, just in case I was totally not into the guy. He met us in the Mission district and we checked out a few bars before settling on a place called Bruno's. Very cool place, on Mission, very lounge-y with a jazz band playing. Perfect. Derek turned out to be just as cute as I remembered, and is tall, blond, and blue-eyed, very Northern European-looking. Turns out he grew up in the Netherlands, go figure. I was very impressed by this guy. He was very smooth and articulate and intelligent and seemed passionate about his work and his life and yes, it helps that he's nice to look at too. Well-dressed also. He drives one of those Mercedes hatchbacks, new. It's the first time he's owned a car in 10 years. He is 29, well within my age range and he seems several years older. He didn't ask me how old I am, I'm assuming he doesn't care about such non-essential things! Right. We left Bruno's and dropped Gen off at her apartment, a few blocks away. Derek proceeded to take me on this romantic late-night drive around the city, stopping to check out the view of Alcatraz from the Presidio (Inspiration Point, no less! Sounds cheesy but if you're with a hot guy, who cares). It was chilly and windy, brr. We got back in the car and headed downhill to the Palace of Fine Arts. It was very beautiful and we walked all around - it was empty and very quiet. We went back to his car and he told me that he was really glad I e-mailed him, and he told me that I was beautiful and then he made his move, not very smoothly, I might add. By this time it was after 1 a.m. so I suggested - reluctantly - that he take me back to Gen's place so I could get to sleep and be able to catch an early train back to Sacramento. He wanted to stay out longer, but I figured it would be good to leave him wanting something more. He walked me to the front door and kissed me goodnight and told me to let him know when I'm coming back. Soooo now I just need to come up with some more excuses to go to SF, but who am I going to contact first? The German hottie or the Dutch one? Decisions, decisions.

No comments: