Sunday, November 23, 2008

Long Shot

I felt compelled to submit an application to be considered for a presidential appointment. I have no desire to move to DC, or to change jobs right now, but figured what the hell. I'm so excited that we are going to have a Democratic president again, and even more excited that GW Bush is outta there. I would feel incredibly honored to serve in the Obama administration, especially now that Hilary Clinton has been appointed as Secretary of State. Yay! What a great choice, and I'm glad that she has decided to accept. I think it shows great strength of character on her behalf. I would love to have the opportunity to work under her and help improve our country's reputation internationally.

The application process was very simple. I went to www.change.gov and filled out some basic information indicating that I was interested in applying for an appointed position. A few days later, I was forwarded a special link that said only I could use. I filled out the online application, which requested basic information career and academic experience and also had a number of areas in which applicants could indicate which agencies and even specific positions they are interested in. I wanted to appear to be as flexible as possible, and selected State Department, Commerce Department, US Trade Rep, and several others. There were a couple of opportunities to write something, and I said I'd also be interested in overseas diplomatic postings.

The chances of even getting selected for an initial phone interview are, I'm sure, extremely miniscule. But, you never know if you don't try. No idea what I would do if I were actually to be offered a job. First of all - I have this house, and there's no way I could sell it. I don't want to sell it, anyway. I could rent it out for probably half of what the monthly mortgage costs. So I would have to live in a college-student type of housing situation in DC, like I did when I was going to grad school. Live in a house with a bunch of other people and just rent a room and furnish it from IKEA. Good times. But - nothing I have to worry about at this time.

No comments: