Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Writing Class

I signed up for a journalism class at the local community college and tonight was the first class. I'm thinking that this may be the best $66 I'll ever spend. First and foremost, the instructor is kind of cute. AND he's not wearing a wedding ring. Hmmm. There do not appear to be any attractive male students, however. The people in the class are really interesting and come from an amazing variety of backgrounds. They are people who I would ordinarily not encounter, and we're all going to get to know each other really well because we are going to be reading each other's article drafts every week. Students range in age from 19 to 60+ and are a mix of ethnicities, including Asian, Latino, white, black and mixed races. Apparently, Sacramento City College is one of the most diverse colleges in the country. Most of the people in the class already have some experience with writing or journalism. It's a class specifically geared toward writing for publication. We're going to learn how to write articles for magazines and get paid for it. Or, at least, that's the goal. I have some ideas already but I'm hoping to get inspired and the class will help us to learn about developing unique story ideas. Tonight we had to interview one of our classmates and give a short introduction about that person. We came up with our own sets of questions. One of the more creative questions was "what's your favorite curse word?" Rather clever. For homework, we have to bring in a magazine that we'd like to write for, and find out what their writing guidelines are. I have homework! For the first time in...I guess 4 years or so, since the last time I took a formal class. That would have been a German class, in Germany.

No comments: