Monday, January 26, 2009

A Day in the Life

I thought today was a fairly typical day, so why not share the mind-numbing details. I woke up at 7 a.m. but was really already awake, because my roommate was getting ready and I could hear her. I took a shower - even washed my hair. I decided to wear my glasses today because I knew I was going to be spending a lot of time staring at the computer monitor at work. Lots of writing and editing to do on a report I'm working on. I wore a cream-colored turtleneck sweater that I bought a couple years ago from Macy's. It's INC brand. With that, I wore a pair of brown slacks that is part of an Anne Klein suit I got on clearance at Ross last year, and a pair of gold flats from Target. Mossimo brand. I packed a lunch - frozen entree, naturally - and headed to the light rail. Got to work around 8:30 and briefly considered going to get a coffee and something fattening to go with it for breakfast, but my co-worker convinced me to eat oatmeal instead. I worked a decent amount today, in between checking my personal e-mail and facebook accounts. I forgot that I had signed up to attend a luncheon seminar that included a free lunch. I went to that with two co-workers and listened to an economist talk about the recession. Nothing new. Had some decent salads, some delicious bread and a cookie. Afterward, I walked a few blocks to the central library because I needed something for my class, but when I got there and tried to open the front door, I realized what I already knew: the library is closed on Mondays. Durr. When I was leaving, I ran into a friend who was on her way to the courthouse. She thinks she'll get selected to serve on a jury. Kind of cool to see her. Went back to work and decided I needed a treat to help get through the afternoon. I went to Chicory, a close-by coffee place I like, and got a non-fat caramel latte. I found some cookies in the fridge at work and ate one of those. Mmm. I got down to business and before I knew it, it was 4:30 pm. I figured, I'd done enough work for one day and spent the rest of the "work day" doing personal business, like planning social engagements for the next two weeks. I felt pretty accomplished by the time I left at about 5:10 pm. Took the light rail, got home and fed the cat. Changed into workout clothes and went to the Y. Stopped at Safeway afterward and bought food for dinner and then some. Came home, turned on the oven, popped in some fish (coconut-crusted tilapia, yummy) and took a quick shower. I changed into some comfy sweats and prepared dinner. I made a spinach salad with carrots to accompany the fish. I watched the second half of a Two and Half Men re-run and then settled in to watch The Bachelor, one of my favorite Guilty Pleasures. My roommate watched too. Nice way to learn about American culture, huh? She's from Japan. During commercials I did stuff around the house, like wash dishes and change my sheets. I'm very productive in 4-minute spurts. On occasional commercial breaks, I maintained my position on the couch and read sections of the Sunday paper that I didn't get to yesterday, such as Parade and the Forum, Business and Travel sections. I also played with the cat, who was seeking attention. The Bachelor ended at 10 and I figured I'd go to bed, but wanted to check my e-mail (yes, I am obsessed). I logged on to the computer, synced my Ipod and then started typing in the blog. Then the phone rang (??) and it was my friend C. calling from her hotel room in SF. I chatted with her for 42 minutes. Now it is 11:36 p.m., about an hour past my usual bedtime. I'm tired...will head upstairs and take out my contacts, brush my teeth and probably forgo my usual few minutes of reading before bed. Good night!

No comments: