Thursday, February 12, 2009

Stood Up

I encouraged (but did not start) a flirtation with a guy who I probably shouldn't be flirting with, but I admit I welcomed the attention, since my relationship with R. had recently ended. We agreed on an evening for him to come over and cook me dinner. We are friends, but he is super hot and I can't stop myself from fantasizing about him. I'm not sure what I thought would have happened when he came over, but I would have welcomed a variety of scenarios, including him having too much to drink and being forced to spend the night at my place. Where the couch would be way too short for him, seeing as how he's about 6 foot 5. And 24 (years old, that is). Anyway - as our date approached, I hadn't heard from him so was somewhat concerned. I figured he had changed his mind, but that it was unlike him to not even let me know or come up with some kind of excuse. The evening arrived and I assumed he was flaking, so I made other plans that involved going to the gym and making shrimp tacos for myself. Never heard from him. No Facebook, no e-mail, no text, no call. Hmmm. I waited a couple of days and sent him a note on FB that said something like "it would have been nice to get a call..." but nothing too mean. We were supposed to have dinner on a Wednesday night. I got a voicemail message from him on Saturday morning telling me he was sorry that he couldn't make it on Wednesday night, but that he had been "busy". Then he said that actually, he wasn't busy, he had been in JAIL! WTF? I was laughing. I wasn't sure if he was making it up or not. I waited a couple of days and called him back. He told me that he got pulled over for drunk driving on Sunday (Super Bowl Sunday) and he happened to have four guns in his truck. Apparently the police weren't too pleased about that and they arrested him and threw him in the county jail. He called his sister and thought she could bail him out, but then learned that his bail was set at half a million dollars. Guess not. He stayed in jail almost all week, until his arraignment. So I guess that was a pretty good excuse. He told me that he was telling his cellmate (a word he didn't think he'd use in reference to himself!) that he had dinner plans with a "lady" on Wednesday night that he was going to miss. Unbelievable. I guess this was a sign that it wasn't meant to be! Now the guy can't drive and he lives sort of far away, and I'm certainly not planning to go see him. The next time I see him (if he doesn't get jail time for the felonies he was charged with) will be next month at a mutual friend's birthday party in downtown.

No comments: