Sunday, August 12, 2007

Socialites

Contrary to popular belief, single people like myself don’t necessarily have wild and crazy social lives. Truthfully, the older I get, the more often I find myself hanging out at home and relaxing on the couch as opposed to going out and drinking and flirting. Take this weekend for example. I tried to get some friends to meet me at concert in the park on Friday evening after work, but it didn’t happen. I ended up going for a long walk with Carolyn instead, then going home and reading three magazines while watching “School of Rock” playing on Fox. I think I ended up going to sleep at around 11 p.m. Pretty exciting!

My friends and I actually had a number of social obligations on Saturday night, however. We were pretty excited about this and conveniently, all three parties were within about 5 blocks of each other, making getting around pretty easy. We started off at a wedding reception for some friends who got married recently in Hawaii. Free drinks and appetizers, sweet. Checking our watches, we headed out to party #2, a wine and art reception at a new downtown winery. Another of our friends invited us, she was helping the artist to promote his work. We walked in and I asked her who the artist was, expecting some effeminate “artsy” guy and was surprise when she pointed out a tall, dark, and handsome guy, dressed preppy in khakis and a button down shirt. All of a sudden I became a great patron of the arts J We all hung out there for an hour or so, and two of my friends ended up buying art. They convinced him to come with us to the next party, our friend’s birthday shindig. Yeah – he left his own party to come with us, cool. The birthday party was great. It was in this beautiful old, renovated empty apartment that is going to be a salon. Perfect setting for a party, and they had a bartender and a DJ. I stayed fairly close to the artist, desiring to learn more about this hottie and his many “passions” that inspire his art. Sure, his compliments were a little on the cheesy side, but I needed a little ego boost after my rejection by the blind date, right? Plus, like I mentioned, I do like to support the arts. And local artists. He told me he would call me tonight, so we’ll see. But, wow, he is nice to look at. I wouldn’t mind hanging out with him again.

No comments: