Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The Intimidation Factor

Last night I had a date with a 25-year-old guy -- this is the second time in 2 weeks that I've gone out with 25-year-olds! I guess I should take it as a compliment that much younger men want to go out with me. I'm just wondering where all of the 30 and older men are. I guess they're at home with their wives and kids? They're definitely not hanging out at the Momo Lounge on Saturday nights, which is where I met the latest young guy. Marco (his real name) and I met at Bistro 33 on 16th and K last night at 9 pm, for a drink. He told me that he initially didn't think he should call me because he was intimidated by my job title and position at work. He said that he just called me "to be nice." He said he's not that smart of a guy, which I didn't believe. I certainly appreciated his honesty and was suprised that he actually was intimated by me. I hear that excuse a lot, that guys are probably intimidated by successful, smart women, but I thought it was just a load of crap. Maybe it's true? I told him that my friends wanted me to tell him I worked at Mervyn's. He laughed, but I got the impression that he would be more interested in me if in fact I did have a lower-level type of job. It doesn't really matter in this case, because I'm not interested in dating Marco, but I wonder if other guys out there feel the same way he does. Toward the end of the evening, he finally asked me how old I was and I told him 32. He said he would have guessed that I was younger. I asked him how old he was and he got really embarrassed and didn't want to tell me. I guessed that he was 25 and he said I was right. At least I got a glass of wine and an appetizer out of it. When I went out to my car, I was dismayed to find no fewer than 100 bird craps all over it. I've been told that in some cultures, that is a sign of good luck. I hope so, because tonight I'm having dinner with the Australian guy I'm in love with. He's age-appropriate (32) and gorgeous, and my dream future husband, but unfortunately he has a beautiful girlfriend in San Francisco. Unless he's asking me to dinner to tell me that he dumped his girfriend and wants to be with an intellectual woman like me :)

No comments: