Monday, January 8, 2007

"Why are you still single??"

Ah, a question I have come to loathe. As I get older, I get asked this question more and more often. In fact, I was asked this question by a guy I was on a date with on Friday night. My first instinct is to be offended, because to me, he may as well have asked, "what is wrong with you that no guys want to be with you?" I guess that's my insecurity roaring its ugly head. It would never occur to me to actually ask someone this question, especially since I myself am also "still single." My friend Blake says one should offer a humorous reply and then change the subject. Here are some other alternative answers: from Bridget Jones' Diary (by way of Carolyn): all of us 'singletons' have scales under our clothes, didn't you know?; I am actually a psycho bitch from hell who will drive any man insane; I have a serious personality disorder; I have committed multiple crimes and spent most of my adult life in jail, thus preventing me from forming any kind of meaningful relationship, outside of pen-pal correspondence; I am in fact married and am looking to have a meaningless fling; or...fill in the blank and let me know what you recommend I say the next time I get asked this question, because I guarantee it will happen again soon. The last time it happened was last month, and the asker was my boss, of all people. He started out by saying "what's your story?" and then proceeded to try to be politically correct by asking if there's a special woman or man in my life! I cracked up and told him that I'm straight, as a matter of fact. Then he told me that if he was single, he would date me. Thanks! My married- with-kids boss (who is kinda hot, for the record) would hypothetically take me on a date if he was single. I told him I'm willing to be set up and asked if he knew any men between the ages of 30 and 40, who had a job, who were straight and taller than me. That's my criteria. He offered the name of one guy, who one of my co-workers has dated. The guy I went out with on Friday night actually only met one of my standards - he has a job. So, he's short and young (5'7" 1/2 and 25, to be exact). He's a distraction, is basically what he is. And, finally, this is how he asked the question above and how I answered: "You're a good-looking girl, you have a great job, a great apartment, why are you still single?" Me: (after going off on him for asking the question in the first place and telling him I was offended) "Because I haven't met anyone for whom it would be worth it to NOT be single." After all, that's what it's all about, right?

2 comments:

Cherann said...

You're hilarious. I was about to call you and ask how the date went.

cindamen said...

How about, "Because, I want to be."