Saturday, December 30, 2006

Resolutions

I dug out one of my old journals the other night and was pretty amused by what I had written. The first entry was dated January 1, 2002. I was curious to see what I was thinking five years ago. My list of New Years' resolutions was as follows: get whiter teeth, eat healthy, exercise more, stop biting nails, learn Spanish, get rid of credit card debt, save money, keep my checking account balanced, and do some volunteer work. I'm sorry to say that of all of these things, the only one I've accomplished has been to pay off my credit card debt. And that just occurred this week! I should say I have made an effort to learn Spanish. I took a 6-week course, bought a book and a phrase book. This all took place in 2006.

My journal for the first week of 2002 went something like this:
January 2: "still eating well and exercising." Well, it's only been one day! I should hope so. Next day: "eating good today. didn't exercise." Hm, already starting to go downhill. January 4: "eating somewhat worse today. was hungry often. had muffin from La Bou and some chocolates. didn't exercise. Forgot. But will work out a lot this weekend." January 5: "not a very healthy eating day. went downhill when I ate a box of Junior Mints at the movies. Then had pizza and See's Candies later." The rest of the journal pretty much follows this pattern. I think this is why I stopped making resolutions - never kept them, so what was the point? However, if I were going to make resolutions, they would probably be the following: save money, stop biting my nails, do some volunteer work, eat healthy and exercise more. Oh, and keep better track of my checking account. Hm, this list looks pretty familiar! I'll check back in 2012 and see if I've made any progress!

No comments: