Monday, April 30, 2007

SF Update

After my DC trip, I went back to work for one day and then went to SF on Friday. I got a ride into the city with a colleague but then had to pretty much spend the day with him. Oh well. I got a free lunch out of it, at least. Mostly, I was looking forward to my date with Derek. We met at Union Square at about 6 p.m., after I finished my meetings and he got off work. It was a beautiful, warm and sunny day. We took a cab to his apartment and he poured us some wine. We took our wine up on the roof of his building, where we sat, surrounded by a 360 degree view of the city. It doesn’t get much better than that! Oh, wait, it did get better when we started kissing. OK, now it doesn’t get much better! As the sun went down and it became colder, we headed inside and continued our wine drinking and thought about going to dinner. We went to Suppenkueche, a German restaurant in Hayes Valley that I had heard about. It was actually really good. Pretty cool on the inside too. We went back to his place and the excellent evening continued. I was just worried that his roommate was going to come home – she was due to return from a week-long trip to Southeast Asia that night. As it turns out, she didn’t come home, she must’ve gone to her boyfriend’s place (my Australian friend). It was nice to stay the night and spend more time with him than just a few hours. Plus, I slept exceptionally well in his bed. Although, the roommate did get home on Saturday morning – with her Aussie in tow. That was a bit embarrassing…I obviously did not want them to know I was there, but a bunch of my stuff was downstairs so it probably became clear to them after a couple of minutes that Derek had a girl over. Fortunately they are both smart individuals and they left after about 10 minutes. We got up and took showers, and he fixed me some breakfast. He had to head to SFO to pick up his cousin who was arriving from the Netherlands. I had him drop me at the Ferry Building so I could catch the bus to Emeryville, and then the train to Sac. I was feeling that things were a little weird that morning and then in the car – lack of conversation and all that. I can’t get into all the details here but I’m afraid the bloom is off the rose at this point – I’m no longer feeling all smitten and crazy about him like I was before. This typically always happens when I get to know a guy better and realize he’s not this perfect creature that I envisioned him to be when I didn't know him. Plus there are some basic chemistry issues. Now it’s at the point where I’m not sure if it would make sense for us to continue to spend time together, because I am pretty sure he’s not someone I want a relationship with. He would probably be a great boyfriend, and he's really incredibly cute (that makes it harder!), but I am not feeling it. I am still waiting to meet a guy who is just crazy about me and makes an effort to call me, talk to me on a regular, if not daily, basis, goes out of his way to figure out how to spend time with me, really seems to want to get to know me, and makes me feel like I’m the only woman in his life (which, hopefully, I would be). Derek really does none of these things and that’s why I’m thinking it’s not worth my time. With that said, it may be worthwhile to keep him in mind when I do travel to SF for work or otherwise, but that's partly up to him as well and I think his feelings probably mirror mine. In the meantime, the older guy I referenced in my last posting has scheduled a lunch date with me for Friday and has sent me numerous e-mails, which indicates that he is thinking of me. There's something to be said for that. Still no word from Mark and of course no communication from Derek since Saturday morning. I also have a blind date on Wednesday, which sounds promising, but I hold no stock in descriptions, based on the last two set-ups I’ve been on.

1 comment:

Cherann said...

Sacto,

Can you break your posts into paragraphs? I have kids-- so, I don't always have the time to read long paragraphs.

Also, you need to call me. What's wrong with Derek?? he sounds great to me...

P.S. I tagged you on my blog