Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Just Friends

My nearly 44-year-old ex-boyfriend is dating a 26-year-old. I don't know why this bothers me, but it kind of does. What do they talk about? I mean, he was 9 years older than me to begin with. It's like he gets older but the women stay the same age. So unfair. One consolation is that he's dying his hair. I'm a little embarrassed for him. He looked fine last time I saw him, with salt and pepper in his dark brown (receding) hair. Much to my surprise, the gray is gone and has been replaced with an obvious looking reddish-brown dye. Not a good look.

So I go down to L.A. to stay with him for a weekend (just as friends...those feelings have long since disappeared) and he sends me a text when I was out shopping to let me know it's going to be a "full house" since "the girlfriend" is spending the night. Wha?? He never mentioned this girlfriend before. I really think he should have brought this up in conversation at some point! I felt really awkward about the whole thing. I was at the apartment when they walked in. She's a petite Filipino woman with long hair and huge fake boobs. NICE. I thought she looked like she was in her late 30s.

The next morning (I left the house to take a bike ride before she woke up) I was chatting with Greg and he says "so you met my 26-year-old plaything" kind of laughing. I said, "Oh, I thought she was at least 36!" Seriously. Apparently they are not serious and they've only been going out for a couple of months. Still, I think he should have mentioned her before instead of just springing it on me. Oh well.

I have a date with a younger man this weekend, so there! At least, I think it's a date. We're going for a bike ride and then he's cooking me dinner. But he has referred to me as 'just"his friend, so who knows. In my experience, guys don't invite girls over for dinner unless they have some sort of romantic interest. I've been wrong before (oh so many times) but we shall see.

No comments: