Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Ambiguity

My sister described G. as "ambiguous" because he is this guy I've been spending time with and I can't figure out whether he likes me as more than a friend. So now I call him "Mr. Ambiguity". Very fitting. We saw each other on Sunday and Monday. Sunday, he joined me and my friends for wine tasting and a picnic. He baked brownies. And he looked gorgeous, as usual. But I got nothing from him - no signal regarding how he thinks of me. So frustrating. Monday night, he met me at a bar (the bar where we met, actually). I started a conversation about past relationships, and it went pretty well. I found out something important: he dates women. Yay! That's a good starting point. He told me that he was dating someone two months ago. That wasn't long before we met. It sounded like she dumped him and he was pretty bummed about it. He said they dated for a month and a half. He asked me about my last relationship and I told him a little bit about why things didn't work out between Rob and me. For each of the reasons, he would make a statement indicating that he wasn't like that. Hm, interesting. We left and he drove me home. He came inside to change into his running clothes - he was going to the park for a 3-mile run. He left and said "see ya later" or something non-committal. I couldn't stand it anymore, and I walked outside as he was putting his clothes in his trunk. I said, "I want to ask you something before you go running." I said I was sorry to put him on the spot but that I wondered what he thought of me - whether he liked me as just a friend or ?? And he said that he absolutely likes me as a friend, and he is trying to figure out whether it can be something more. I was disappointed but at least it wasn't a total failure. He said that he is attracted to me, so that was a highlight. However, he said that he still thinks about that girl who dumped him. He said he really enjoys spending time with me. We agreed that we would keep hanging out and just see what happens. It was an awkward conversation but I'm glad it happened, because I don't enjoy not knowing. So what did I learn? That he does feel ambiguous - about me.

No comments: