Wednesday, November 11, 2009

SF Day

I scheduled a day of meetings in SF because I wanted to see this guy Adam who I have a huge crush on. Once I knew he was available for happy hour, I arranged to meet with a number of other people, starting at lunchtime. It worked out well. I had lunch with my friend from Taiwan, coffee with my friend from Canada, and an interesting bubbly (non-alchoholic) beverage with my friend from Germany. Adam asked me to meet him at a bar called House of Shields. I got there early and noted it was very loud, dark and crowded. He walked in and gave me a hug (yay!). He asked if I wanted to go somewhere else, somewhere quieter. Yes, yes I did. We walked around and checked out no fewer than 4 other bars before finally finding someplace where we would get a table at the bar. He ordered beer and I had a glass of zin. We shared calamari. He was very friendly and asked me a lot of questions. About halfway into our conversation, I detected that he had a girlfriend. Darn it. I was disappointed. But still had a good time. He lives in the Berkeley Hills and commutes to SF for work. He surfs and drives a VW Jetta station wagon (probably good to accomodate his surfboard). He grew up in Miami but never went to Disney World. Interesting guy, someone I'd like to spend more time and get to know, but alas he has a g-friend. Lucky girl. It goes without saying that I hate her. He downed two beers pretty quickly. He paid the bill. We walked to BART and took the train together to North Berkeley, his stop. That was another half hour of conversation, which was nice. I continued on to Richmond, end of the line, where my car was parked. Overall, a nice evening, but could have been much better.

No comments: