Thursday, November 19, 2009

Parking Garage/Bus Station Employee


I started my new job this week and I'm ready to look for another new job. Seriously. On Monday and Tuesday, I had to drive to Walnut Creek (approx. 75 mi.) and pick up two co-workers in Sacramento on the way there. Total pain in the ass. I don't even want to get into the annoying details. Let's just say I was late on my first day of work and I was not happy. I hate driving, by the way. I especially hate driving 165 miles in one day, for two days in a row. On Wednesday, my commute was shorter and I only had to drive to Fairfield, which is about 45 miles away. Hate. It. Driving, that is.

Get this. My new office is in a parking garage. Literally, it is a little office that is part of a parking garage. It is a nice parking garage, but still. I work in a parking garage. At least my car is only steps away. Ha ha. Too bad I can't laugh about this now. Just kidding. My co-workers and I laughed our asses off when we saw the office for the first time and came to the realization that we work.in.a.parking.garage!!!!


Not only do we work in a parking garage, but the parking garage is part of the Fairfield Transit Center. Which is the main commuter bus depot in town. Someone came to the office yesterday afternoon and asked me if I had bus information. This is my life now.

I almost forgot to mention the bathroom situation. The first thing I asked when I walked into the office was "where is the bathroom?" If you walk outside of the office, you'll find public restrooms around the corner. Public, as in, for anyone who walks in off the street, such as transients. Hmmm. Luckily, there is a nice bathroom option too. But that is a farther walk. There is a nice office building a couple hundred yards away and we can use their bathroom. In fact, they encourage us to use their bathroom. But, not between 12 and 1, because they are closed for lunch. And not after 5, when they close. Other than that, great!

There is also zero privacy in the office. It is just an open space with several desks. The room is about 2o by 25 feet.

I'm so tired every night by the time I get home. I think it's because of the driving, because I'm not waking up that much earlier than before.

I've also been working on a job application every night this week. I finally finished it tonight - which was also the deadline. It's a foreign service job with the U.S. Dept. of Commerce. I've applied for the job before, in 2005, when I was about to finish my year in Germany. I got denied. They've changed the application, but it's still very challenging. I would be very surprised if I was contacted for an interview. But it was worth a shot. The department only opens this recruitment once every two years.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

u need to have a look @ this [url=http://tinyurl.com/5542788987]Wonderfull.[/url]

just a bit help and i get pics unlocked